When was the last time you went to a museum? Or bought fresh flowers for your office or bedroom?
Today, we’re going to stimulate the senses by incorporating aesthetic pleasures. You can pick one of the easier prompts from the list and schedule another for the weekend. Ready?
- Make something using a craft technique that interests you. Don’t know how to make what you’re longing to make? Big box craft stores or online stores often have small kits to help you get started. Check out Crafternoon by Hazel and Ruby.
- Buy fresh flowers from a local florist (or even a grocery store, though I highly recommend the florist.)
- Run into the library and check out an art book or a book about an artist’s life.
- Buy a magazine about something that interests you – woodworking, quilting, cooking – and decide what you will do next.
- Go to a museum or art gallery.
- Catch a local performance of a play or musical. If there isn’t a performance scheduled today, buy tickets for the next one that works for your schedule. In a pinch, see if you can find one streaming or for rent on demand. One of my recent favorite movies is LaLa Land. (Great music – visually stimulating!!!)
- Go on a photography treasure walk – you can use just your iphone. Spend as much time as you want and look for interesting subjects to take photos of. If you’re really in the mood, compile them all afterward into a small scrapbook or mini book printed online or at a local store.
- Go on a nature walk and spend time focused on plants, flowers or trees along the way.
- Buy or borrow a book about a craft or project you’d like to begin.
- Get a cheap set of watercolors and some watercolor paper and paint some abstract designs. (Or buy an adult coloring book with heavy pages and watercolor the designs. Here’s one of my favorites.)
If you enjoy today’s prompt, make it count by committing to a Day of Art and Beauty every month as a part of your self care plan.
Let me know in the comments what you chose – include a photo if you’re willing!